Beverages such as coffee and tea are popular for their high levels of caffeine. Fortunately, there’s a difference in green tea as it contains less caffeine.
Green tea is delicious and a healthy pick you must include in your diet. Usually, it comes with a fine texture, ready to dissolve fast. Therefore, it’s a must-have beverage for all ages.
Compared to tea and coffee, this significant beverage has more health benefits for your body.
Green tea has antioxidant properties, which the body needs to avoid inflammations.
You can also incorporate it for a healthy weight loss process. People worldwide have consumed green tea for hundreds of years thanks to its many benefits.
Here’s everything you need to know about green tea.
A Brief History Of Green Tea
The history of green tea dates back to as early as 2737 B.C., during the era of Chinese Emperor Shennong.
During one of his travels with his servants, a leaf from a tea plant fell inside his cup of hot drinking water.
The water immediately turned dark, and Shennong was fascinated. On taking the beverage, he found it refreshing and rejuvenating.
Since that day, Shennong would summon the workers to make him more. With time, the beverage has spread in the Chinese region and later to the rest of the world.
So, green tea penetrated the public space by the 14th century. By then, people were aware of its health and medicinal properties.
Benefits Of Green Tea
Green tea and its main component, epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), have anti-inflammatory effects.
These anti-inflammatory effects may help protect against a variety of diseases, such as cancer, obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and neurodegenerative diseases.
A study conducted on cells, animals, and humans found that green tea and EGCG can reduce the production of inflammatory cytokines.
They have also found that EGCG and green tea can lower the levels of enzymes that contribute to inflammation in the body.
These findings suggest that regularly consuming green tea may offer significant health benefits by reducing inflammation in the body.
Some other benefits of green tea include:-
Green Tea Alerts the Brain and Makes It Function at Its Optimal
The caffeine and L-theanine compounds in green tea boost the brain’s functioning.
Caffeine increases alertness and improves the brain’s function. It’s also in small quantities and doesn’t pose adverse side effects.
Furthermore, L-theanine is another powerful compound in green tea. It removes the blood and brain block, ensuring an adequate blood supply to the brain.
Amino acid L-theanine stimulates GABA production, an inhibitory neurotransmitter known to curb anxiety.
Green Tea May Help With Weight Loss
Studies have shown that drinking green tea may lead to slight weight loss in people who are overweight or obese.
However, this weight loss is usually not significant enough to make a noticeable difference in one’s health.
Additionally, green tea does not help people keep the weight off long-term.
Few people reported adverse side effects from drinking green tea, which were generally minor.
While some research suggests that green tea may not significantly impact weight loss, other studies have found that it can be effective for weight loss.
According to Findings published on the effect of green tea supplementation on obesity, green tea extract can aid weight loss.
These studies found that when participants consumed 800mg of green daily for 12 weeks, saw a significant loss in weight and BMI.
It implies that green tea can be effective for weight loss when combined with a balanced and healthy diet and frequent physical exercise in the management of obese patients.
Green Tea Helps Fight Cancer
Consuming over five cups of green tea daily also lowers the recurrence rate.
It extends the disease-free period for stage I and II cancer patients. Green tea is beneficial for primary cancer prevention.
Green Tea Lowers the Risk of Diabetes 2
Research suggests that green tea can have beneficial effects on type 2 diabetes.
However, not all studies have shown a positive effect on glucose control in type 2 diabetic patients.
The main beneficial component of green tea, EGCG, has been found to inhibit adipocyte proliferation, increase fat oxidation, and protect against β-cell destruction.
More research is required to completely understand green tea’s molecular mechanisms and clinical applications.
10 Best Brands Of Green Tea For Weight Loss
Some of the most award-winning green tea brands are as follows;
1. Tetley Green Tea
Tetley Green Tea Company is the second largest tea distributor in the United States, operating in over 40 countries.
Its green tea is one of the best, loaded with potent compounds such as catechins, caffeine, and antioxidants.
Antioxidants support fats and calorie burn, helping you with your weight management plans.
Enjoy green tea that is tasty, aromatic, and intensely flavored. In addition, it’s a healthy choice as it’s endowed with 100% organic ingredients.
Tetley Green Tea comes in different flavors, including ginger, citrus, aloe vera, lemon, cinnamon, and honey.
- Widely available
- It has no artificial ingredients.
- Contains Caffeine
- Some people find the test bitter.
Twinings is a green tea brand founded in 1706 in London, United Kingdom. The brand offers its products all over the globe, precisely in over 100 countries.
The green tea originates from the camellia Sinensis plant’s leaves.
You’ll find the Twinings green tea packed in tea bags and available in 80 flavors.
You can facilitate weight loss plans by consuming smooth green tea from Twinings.
- It can be found in most grocery stores
- It has a wide variety of flavors
- Some flavors are artificial tasting
- Can be watery
- Can be bitter
3. Vahdam Green Tea
Vahdam Green Tea is a superior brand hailing from the famous Himalayas. Grown in India’s tea gardens, this brand has won many awards.
For more than 80 years, Vahdam has been a top-choice brand for many people. Vahdam Green Tea is now available in over 85 countries around the world.
It’s blended with suitable antioxidants to give you great health benefits. Vahdam helps with weight loss goals and also improves brain function.
- It is 100% Organic.
- Ethically sourced.
- It comes in a beautiful, sustainable canister.
- The tea leaves are of excellent quality.
- The tea has an enjoyable, light flavor.
- It is affordably priced.
- Some people may find the taste a bit too strong
- The canister is not resealable, so you have to finish the tea within a couple of weeks of opening it
- The tea leaves are very finely ground, so they can be a bit messy to work with
Lipton Green Tea is a best-selling brand established in India by Sir Thomas Lipton.
You’ll find it in major international U.K. supermarkets and also online.
It comes with a fresh taste and a refreshing natural feeling. This brand is also available in different flavors to suit everyone’s preferences.
Grab a Lipton Green Teabag to quench your thirst for a healthier beverage.
- It has a pleasant light taste
- It is calorie-free
- A good source of antioxidants
- It is not very strongly flavored.
5. Jade Leaf Matcha Green Tea
This green tea source is from family farms in Uji and Kagoshima.
It has a Japanese origin where it’s grown organically.
Jade Leaf green tea is rich in antioxidants that help boost natural energy and cognitive function.
Drink green from a reliable source that is USDA-certified.
This ancient Japanese tea brand is what you need to facilitate your weight loss goals.
- It is organic and of very high quality.
- It has a lovely flavor and is very refreshing
- Easy to prepare
- Some people may find the taste of this tea to be too strong.
- It can be a bit pricey for some people.
6. Yogi Green Tea
This brand uses organically grown ingredients to brew its green tea. So, you can be confident that you’re consuming 100% organic beverages.
Its origin is from the ancient Ayurveda beliefs, and it promotes green tea health benefits such as weight loss and preventing inflammation.
Yogi Green Tea is USDA-certified and non-MGA verified. Its antioxidant properties help prevent oxidative diseases such as cancer.
Yogi Green Tea contains a fine texture that is quickly absorbed to make a delicious beverage.
- Has a very light, refreshing taste.
- It is an excellent alternative to sugary drinks.
- A good source of antioxidants.
- It may help boost your metabolism.
- It is low in calories.
- May contain caffeine
- Not suitable for people with certain medical conditions, such as heart conditions or pregnant women.
7. Organic India Tulsi Green Tea
Rich in organic ingredients, Organic India Tulsi Green Tea is your option for healthy beverages.
The presence of healthy nutrients and ingredients makes your weight management goals achievable.
Tulsi green tea combines Tulsi herbs and premium tea to facilitate rapid fat burning.
Besides, green tea from Tulsi leaves you refreshed, rejuvenated, and energized.
- Boosts immune system
- Relieves stress
- Aids in digestion
- Contains antioxidants
- It contains tulsi, a medicinal herb
- Low in caffeine
- None noted
8. Goodwyn Green Tea
Goodwyn is an Indian beverage company responsible for different tea varieties, such as Black, Green, White, and Oolong Teas.
Its green tea has a great taste and is delicious. Boost your weight loss process by drinking Goodwyn green tea.
Antioxidants and catechins increase metabolism, helping you shed extra pounds.
- Contain antioxidants
- May boost metabolism
- Low in calories
- Caffeine content may cause side effects in some people
9. Numi Green Tea
Numi Organic Tea is a Californian beverage company responsible for manufacturing Numi green tea.
It also makes different varieties of green tea, such as Jasmine green, gunpowder green, and ginger lemon.
Consuming Numi green tea boosts your metabolism, thus promoting rapid calories burn.
- Offers a wide variety of tea flavors
- Are widely available in stores
- More expensive than some other brands
- Come in bags rather than loose leaves
10. Matcha Green Tea Powder by Kiss Me Organics
Green tea from this brand is 100% organic to help you go all-natural.
It also comes packaged in a BPA-FREE pouch that’s sealed.
Matcha green tea is endowed with caffeine, catechins, and L-Theanine compounds.
The antioxidants present in matcha green tea promote weight loss by fastening the rate of metabolism.
- The powder is very fine, making it easy to dissolve in water.
- Vibrant green color
- It has a very intense flavor, so a little goes a long way.
- Smooth taste
- Organic and fairly priced
- Some people may find the flavor too fierce.
Green tea contributes significantly to a healthier you, especially in weight management. It boosts the burning of calories to meet your weight loss goals.
Incorporate green tea in your diet for other health benefits, including optimal brain function.
You can find top green tea brands such as Lipton, Vahdam, and Twinings, to name a few, on online platforms like Amazon.
Don’t hesitate to boost your overall health with this particular beverage.
- Mol Cells. (2018 Feb 28). Cancer Prevention with Green Tea and Its Principal Constituent, EGCG: from Early Investigations to Current Focus on Human Cancer Stem Cells. doi: 10.14348/molcells.2018.2227
- Diabetes Metab J. (June 2013). The Effects of Green Tea on Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3689013/
- Mind body green(Jan 13, 2022). Best Green Teas to sip. mindbodygreen.com/articles/best-green-tea
- Best products (Feb 3, 2021). Best Green Teas for an Everyday Antioxidant Boost. bestproducts.com/eats/drinks/g2205/best-green-tea-for-health-benefits/
- Verywell Fit (February 05, 2022). 8 Best Green Teas of 2022. verywellfit.com/best-green-teas-5115813
- Commissioner O of the. Spilling the beans: how much caffeine is too much? FDA. Published online December 2, 2021. fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/spilling-beans-how-much-caffeine-too-much
- Panche AN, Diwan AD, Chandra SR. Flavonoids: an overview. J Nutr Sci. 2016;5:e47. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5465813/
- Hidese S, Ogawa S, Ota M, et al. Effects of l-theanine administration on stress-related symptoms and cognitive functions in healthy adults: a randomized controlled trial. Nutrients. 2019;11(10):2362. doi:10.3390/nu11102362. doi.org/10.3390/nu11102362
- NIH: Office of dietary supplements - dietary supplements for weight loss. ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/WeightLoss-HealthProfessional/#tea
- Antiinflamm Antiallergy Agents Med Chem. (2016). Anti-inflammatory Action of Green Tea. DOI: 10.2174/1871523015666160915154443