What is Liposuction?
Liposuction surgery (Lipoplasty) or “lipo” in short form is the removal of excess fat deposits from specific areas of the body to remain with a good looking shape.
These fats may, however,come back if lifestyle changes are not made.
Lipoplasty is applied in areas of the body such as the stomach, buttocks, thighs, upper arms, chin, and abdomen.
Who are the best Candidates for Liposuction?
Anyone with a stubborn fat deposit across different parts of the body which does not respond to diet or exercises can go for liposuction.
The person can be with ideal weight, old or young and physically fit.
Note: Liposuction surgery is not for weight loss purposes. It is conducted to shape contours that are not responding to any other method.
Benefits of having a Liposuction.
Liposuction has so many great benefits to the patients planning to go for one or who have undergone one.
Below are some of the benefits patients will get after undergoing Liposuction.
- Great shape and more confidence – Unwanted excess fat in different areas of the body gets removed.
- It can help men who have excessive breast tissue.
- Improves general body appearance making one look young with great shape.
- For those patients who have excess sweating in their armpit area, liposuction can help treat this problem
- It can enhance your appearance in as little as a day.
Who should not go for Liposuction?
First of all, Lipo is not a weight loss procedure. Do not go for Liposuction expecting you to lose weight. This Cosmetic surgery is for reshaping your body.
However, one may lose little weight due to the removal of the excess mass of the extra body parts.
What preparations are required for the patients?
Patients should look for a qualified and board certified by the American Board of Medical Specialties. This is because any major surgery has potential risks.
Therefore, an experienced cosmetic surgeon who understands the human anatomy is required to conduct the surgery.
Patients are required to do research on the best surgeon with good experience to conduct the surgery.
What are areas of the body subjected to Lipo?
Liposuction surgery can be conducted on the following parts of the body; Thighs, abdomen and waist, upper arms, chest area, cheeks, chin, and neck among others.
What Happens During the procedure?
The doctor inserts the cannulas through small incisions in the patient’s skin, and then fat is suctioned through the tubes as they target certain fat deposits under the skin.
This procedure is done with the help of small and thin tubes with blunted tips called “cannulas“.
How much does it cost to get liposuction on your Body?
Liposuction Cost varies from one patient to another. There are a number of factors that affects the cost of liposuction. Some of these include;
- The size of fat and the area to be operated
- The surgeon performing your liposuction surgery
- Are of locality
- number of liposuction procedures to be performed
Because of its extensiveness, we have covered how much liposuction cost on a separate topic.
If you want to know more about liposuction costs, factors affecting the cost and whether liposuction can be covered by insurance. Visit the link above to learn more.
How long does it take to recover after undergoing “Lipo”.
After surgery, you will have bruises and the place will swell for a period of 1-3 weeks.You will not be able to work so a helper will be required to assist you with homework. See our guide on how to reduce swelling after liposuction.
If you employed, seek permission as you will not be able to go to work.
you will feel numbness and soreness in the liposuction areas for several weeks as you will be healing slowly.
What are the risks involved during and after Liposuction surgery?
Liposuction surgery is good as it shapes your body to the desired looks.
However, there are risks involved during and after the surgery that is good to know before going for one.
- First and foremost, Patients may get skin infections resulting from liposuction which might need another surgery to fix.
- After undergoing the surgery, the healing process is slow as it involves bruises in the areas operated.
- It can cause thrombophlebitis a condition that makes veins to be inflamed when a blood clot forms.
- Patients may have allergic reactions, this depends on different patients of course.
- Patients may feel numb in somebody areas for several weeks before healing.
The risks should not spread fear across your mind, so many people have gone through liposuction and are doing great.
However, it’s good first to do a consultation with your doctor whether “lipo” is fit for you before undergoing one.
Also, make sure it’s conducted by the best and most experienced plastic surgeon who have skills and knowledge of human anatomy.