Who is an Orthopedic Surgeon?
An Orthopedic surgeon is a Doctor by profession who is an expert to diagnose and treat problems associated with the human musculoskeletal system. This include; muscles, bones, ligaments, joints, and tendons.
Orthopedic surgeons are classified into two types;
- Orthopedic Generalist: those who have knowledge of a wide range of things.
- Orthopedic specialists: surgeons who have knowledge and skills in a particular area such as foot and ankle, Hip and knee, Hand, Spine, Shoulder, and elbow.
Apart from treating broken bones, replacing painful joints, orthopedic surgeons can also perform many other orthopedic surgeries to treat orthopedic injuries such as:
- Sports injuries
- Back pain from spinal stenosis and ruptured disks
- Bone tumors
- Hand injuries
- Carpal tunnel
- Club foot
- Bowlegs and hip dysplasia
- Orthopaedic trauma
- Foot and Ankle injuries
- Limb lengthening
- Achilles tendon injuries,
Orthopedic Surgeon Schooling and Training.
How to become an orthopedic surgeon
Just like other surgeons, for one to become an orthopedic surgeon, you have to undergo special training and a continuous learning process to get the right and required skills.
The orthopedic surgery training takes 8-9 years of post-baccalaureate education, along with continued maintenance of board certification.
Although this may vary depending on different countries, to be among the best orthopedic surgeons, you MUST go through it.
In addition, you MUST first attain the required grades from high school for the college you want to attend.
Each college has its required entry grades, inquire from the administration of the college you want to join.
However, one may specialize in areas such as knee replacement surgery, hand surgery, hip replacement surgery or sports medicine.
How much do orthopedic surgeons make
How much orthopedic surgeon makes Varies from one orthopedic to another.
Some orthopedics makes or are paid more money than others. This is due to different experience years, type of education or specialization and geographical location of the orthopedic physician.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), average orthopedic surgeons get an annual salary that ranges from $355,927-$885,605 annually.
However, when broken down to monthly earnings, an average orthopedic surgeon earns an estimate of $41,000 a month, $1300 a day,$57 dollars an hour.
Best Orthopedic Surgeon Schooling colleges.
Orthopedic surgery is a lucrative field and requires qualified individuals who can build great working environments in hospitals or private practice environments.
A degree earned from a top recognized institution usually has a positive influence on pay and place to work.
Here are some of the best Orthopedics Medical Schools to start your career.
- UCSF School of Medicine
- Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
- Perelman School of Medicine
- UW School of Medicine.
- David Geffen School of Medicine
- Michigan Medical School.
- UNC School of Medicine.
- Pritzker School of Medicine.
- Wash U School of Medicine in St. Louis.
- University of Wisconsin School of Medicine
- Feinberg School of Medicine.
- Duke School of Medicine.
- Roy J. and Lucille A. Carver College of Medicine.
- UT Southwestern Medical School.
- Geisel School of Medicine.
If you require more information about their whereabouts, fees and more.