What’s a root canal?
Root canal treatment also known as root canal therapy or endodontic therapy is when the pulp and nerve of a decayed or infected tooth are removed.
Your endodontist carefully removes the infected pulp, cleans and seal your tooth.
This saves you from losing your teeth and at the same time the pain that you get when your tooth is infected.
Your tooth bulb and nerves are infected if your tooth is cracked or has an opening in the crown. This allows bacteria to enter deep into your teeth’s root becoming severe.
Who needs a root canal?
A root canal can be conducted to anybody with painful, decayed or cracked teeth. The tooth may be decayed causing your pulp to be infected causing discomfort.
What doctor does root canals?
Can a dentist do a root canal? the answer is yes. However, root canals are more often conducted by An endodontist than dentists.
This is due to his advanced training in root canals, tooth pain and others associated with dental.
An endodontist is a doctor who has studied and specialized more on tooth pain, root canal, and other procedures relating to relating to the interior of the tooth.
Step by step guide on How a root canal is performed.
When the infection becomes severe causing pain and discomfort, your dentist or endodontist may recommend a root canal.
Below is what to expect during a root canal therapy.
- Your dentist or endodontist sends you to an X-ray to see where exactly has the decay affected.
- He will then use a local anesthesia to make the area around the tooth numb. This is to make you relaxed during the root canal procedure.
- The endodontist then makes an opening on the tooth crown and removes the infected pulp. This process is referred to as Pulpectomy.
- After your tooth has been cleaned, its filled with gutta-percha material and then sealed with cement.
A step by step video showing how a root canal is conducted.
How to care for your teeth after a Root Canal treatment.
Most root canal treatment has a high success rate and they stay a lifetime when taken good care of.
Here is what you are supposed to do to ensure your root canal stays for a longer period.
- Visit your oral surgeon or dentists for a checkup and professional cleaning regularly.
- Avoid chewing hard stuff on the teeth that have been conducted a root therapy.
- Keep your oral hygiene clean to avoid infections and keep your teeth in good health.
Root canal treatment cost
The average cost of a root canal is $700 for the front tooth and $900 for the molar. However, the cost varies from one practice to another.