Wisdom tooth extraction
Your wisdom teeth removal or extraction may be conducted by an oral surgeon due to a number of reasons:
- If they are Impacted:this means that your wisdom teeth don’t come out in a normal way. They might be trapped in your gums or jawbone.
- If your wisdom teeth are infected: They may be infected by tooth decay and gum diseases.
- Comes in at a wrong angle: If your wisdom teeth come in at a wrong angle making you uncomfortable.
Wisdom teeth removal procedure
Getting wisdom teeth pulled can be done at an oral surgeon’s dental office.
Your dental surgeon will brief you on what you should expect during the dental surgery.
Depending on your wisdom teeth’s stage of development, different procedures or options may be used to pull out your wisdom teeth.
If your wisdom teeth are fully out, your dentist will extract it using the normal tooth extraction procedure. However, if your wisdom teeth are impacted, a teeth surgery using an incision may be used.
Step by step procedure of impacted wisdom teeth removal
- Your oral surgeon will inject you with a local anesthesia to numb your teeth and surrounding tissues.
- An incision is then inserted into the gums to remove the portion of bone that lies over the tooth. Usually, your oral surgeon may remove the wisdom teeth in small bits.
- The oral surgeon will then prescribe for you pain relief drugs, and antibiotics to protect you from infections. He will also give you instructions on how to conduct yourself during the recovery period to speed your recovery.
Watch below video by checkdent showing wisdom teeth surgery procedure.
How much is wisdom teeth removal?
How much to get wisdom teeth removed vary from one practice to another.
However, the cost for a simple wisdom tooth extraction using local anesthetic range from $75-$200.
If your wisdom teeth are impacted, then expect it to be pulled out at a cost of between $200-$800.
Wisdom teeth removal recovery
Wisdom tooth extraction recovery and healing time may differ from one patient to another.
This depends on the treatment procedure and the type of complication.
For instance, the extraction of a fully erupted wisdom teeth recovers faster than an impacted wisdom teeth.
On average you should be able to recover fully after the extraction of your tooth after one week.
Risks and complications of Wisdom Teeth Removal.
Wisdom teeth pulled out may cause risks and complications. More so when it is impacted. However, the risks involved are relatively small if you go to an experienced surgeon.
Some of the complications that may arise include:
- Dry Socket
The most serious complication among the two is a dry socket, which is most likely to occur between two to four days of the first week.
Contact your oral surgeon or dentist if you experience the following:
- Severe pain after two to four days after tooth extraction.
- Bad breath.
- A long healing period that exceeds two weeks
American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.